Friday, September 4, 2015

Nunamoochie Retro review

This past week, I had the pleasure of hosting a traveling wrap! The wrap is a beautiful size 6 handwoven called Retro, made by Nunamoochie. Nunamoochie is a small, fairly new company based in the US with production in India by the US owner's family. I had already really enjoyed their Mehndi wrap, which I ultimately converted to a soft structured carrier. We are at the end of our wearing days and I wanted to give wrapping (specifically back wrapping) another go with a different style of wrap. I already have a Natibaby Hemp Odyssey and just find it is a little too stiff even after lots of washing, twisting, wearing and ironing. Mehndi was wonderfully soft right out of the package and didn't need much breaking in - it was just *slightly* too thick for us, and ever so slightly too narrow for my big, tall boy by the time we got it. But Retro...oh, Retro!! It makes me want to wrap again!












Retro is a handwoven wrap, lending it a cushier, bouncier feel and a different texture from the jacquard weave of Mehndi. This is a HUGE pro for this wrap. One con is that it is not quite reversible like other jacquard weaves - it's not ugly by any means on the "wrong" side, just a little less zing. Honestly, that is about the only con of it besides that the ends aren't very tapered, meaning your knots might be bulky - that's just a preference thing. My favorite things about this wrap, making it my favorite wrap I've EVER tried are its width and its softness. This is one of the first wraps with which I felt Abe actually had both a good seat and shoulder coverage. Clearly from our pictures we are nowhere near expert back wrappers, but I feel like with Retro we could be. It's a full two inches wider than the Natibaby



The softness is hard to describe on a blog, of course...but it is so buttery smooth. If you have felt something like Burt's Bee's organic cotton onesies versus a conventional Carter's onesie, that's how it feels. It didn't dig into my shoulders at all even with my 26 pound boy and my mediocre wrapping skills, whereas other wraps like the similarly soft but just not quite as soft Dolcino, do dig. It feels lightweight and folds up to a very packable size but has enough thickness to feel toddler-worthy. I would even use it in the winter here, just with multiple passes.



The design speaks for itself. At first I thought black & white would be boring but it really is classy as all getup, and looks beautiful wrapped up in all ways. The edges are black and since this is cotton, I wouldn't worry too much about having a white wrap since cotton wraps tend to be pretty easy to care for. And Nunamoochie makes very budget-friendly wraps for the amazing quality they produce. This is quite affordable compared to other handwovens I have seen on the swap, though I do not know the exact retail price for a 6 right now since they can't be found anywhere!



I will be looking on the swap sites for the wrap in a size 7! Thanks Nunamoochie for doing the traveling wrap!


No comments:

Post a Comment