Friday, January 2, 2015

Cloth diaper first year cost analysis (boring warning)

This is an analysis of the financial and time cost of cloth diapering the way that we have done it, vs disposables the way that we will do them.

Assumptions in cloth diaper cost calculation: This is if you NEVER use disposables, ever, and NEVER use electric dryer and only line dry. Not quite realistic, so in reality it might be more expensive. This is also assuming you are buying new from amazon, and that you would never have to buy more than six covers at a time, and never have to buy replacement covers. This is assuming that it takes one wash with two rinses to get them clean (it sometimes takes more), Even if you DO use the occasional disposable, you do have to do laundry every 2-3 days with cloth. You can save money by buying used cloth diapers. This is calculated assuming that your washer uses 20 gallons of water to fill and to rinse each time and that it's heated by fuel oil at 80% efficiency starting at 50 degrees Farenheit. Washing in cold is NOT an option for CDs...can I get an amen?

Assumptions in disposable calculation: This is assuming an average of 7 changes/day. When they are newborns, it is more...some days, it might be less, as little as 5 especially when you get into potty training. I know there are even cheaper diapers out there than the Target brand but that's the "cheap" comparison I used. When we go full-time disposable we will probably use Earth's Best as they were rated as the best bargain and most health-friendly. Sam's Club I heard work really well and are as little as 11 cents per diaper. This is considering the occasional coupon and bulk deal from amazon, and not considering other sources of coupons/rewards programs.

Other Considerations: What a lot of other comparisons I've read do NOT include is the cost of your TIME!! Mommas and Poppas, your TIME is worth something! Whether you are compensated financially or not, in actuality, or if it's just intangible. Whether you spend your extra time with your kids, on yourself, with your spouse, cleaning (psssht), or in creative endeavors...your time matters. In my case I calculated out how many extra 8 hour shifts an average-paid nurse would have to work to make up the difference between cloth & disposable per year. For funsies I also included how many peppermint mochas I'd have to give up. I know it's not an option for everyone to just tack on a few extra shifts, but for me it is, and again...this is just for my family but I hope it's helpful to others as well. I personally value my time because it is worth something intangibly and at times even financially...like when it's spent making things for my friend Amy's Newborn Naturally Shop!! I allowed 15 minutes per load of wash which I think is a little conservative...time spent spraying poo of each poo diaper, being at the washer at the right time in our case to switch from hot water wash to cold rinse, and line-drying/sorting/folding.

What we did not include: This is strictly a financial/time analysis. It does not include the health/environmental impacts of creating garbage or using water and heat to clean diapers. That's a whole other issue that other people know a lot more about than I do. This is just my own analysis for our family. It does not consider the potential toxins that are in disposable diapers (though that did inform our choice to use Earth's Best...Target isn't that bad either).

Conclusions: The first year is a wash, financially, and if you are paying yourself the difference you save in money for your time...you are not making a whole lot per hour. Each consecutive year/child you use cloth diapers it makes more of a difference, since after you are paying for wash water/power, detergent, and wipe solution. What value you place on the financial difference is up to you and your family. We decided that my/our time is valuable enough to pay the difference right now and give up some other things or work the occasional extra shift. That might change in the future.

Excel charts to follow! (this is the super boring detailed part)
My 3 months of being a secretary after college (thanks, anthropology degree!) have finally paid off!


No comments:

Post a Comment